News Release: A Vision for Transit in the 21st Century
Hamilton Transit Users Group (TUG) has launched a campaign to develop a new community-based vision for transit in Hamilton in the 21st century.
By , Last Updated Saturday, August 22, 2009
August 24, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A VISION FOR TRANSIT IN THE 21ST CENTURY
Transit Users Group (TUG) Campaign To Develop Community-Based Transit Vision
Hamilton ON, August 24, 2009 - Hamilton Transit Users Group (TUG) has launched a campaign to develop a new community-based vision for transit in Hamilton in the 21st century.
The City of Hamilton has committed to doubling transit ridership (to 100 rides per person per year) by 2020. But how do we get there from here? Instead of waiting for the city to figure this out, TUG is making a series of presentations and providing an online survey so Hamiltonians can share their vision of how transit could develop.
Initial results of the survey will be presented in a public meeting to the community in late October.
TUG will then use the information collected through the survey to develop initiatives around improving public transit in Hamilton.
These are exciting times for transit, thanks to the discussion of light rail and the creation of some new routes and discount passes. Yet we know that there is still overcrowding on some routes of the HSR, and battles continue over what should be appropriate levels of fares and public support of transit.
The HSR is currently undertaking a full operational review of its routes and schedules, so this is an especially good time to present a broad-based community vision for where we want transit to go and how we can make it happen.
The TUG presentation explains the current situation in Hamilton and proposes a community-based exercise to develop a progressive vision of transit in Hamilton. TUG will be making this presenting to various community groups in Hamilton over the next few months.http://hamiltontug.com/vision/presentation/
The Transit Vision Survey is a way for Hamiltonians to share their ideas of what public transit could be in this city.http://hamiltontug.com/vision/survey/
If you cannot access these links, please contact us for assistance.
The Hamilton Transit Users Group (TUG) acts with and on behalf of users of public transit to:
- Advocate for increased support to the Hamilton Street Railway (HSR);
- Identify actions to achieve immediate and long-term improvements in the quality of public transit service; and
- Promote and support programs, projects, and other initiatives to attain the goals of transit users.
The Hamilton Transit Users Group (TUG) envisions a future in which the people of Hamilton enjoy:
- A transit system that is efficient, attractive, safe, accessible, and affordable; and
- A service that is fully supported as central to the human, ecological, and economic health of a sustainable Hamilton.
# # #
- TUG Meeting, Nov. 17, 7:30 PM at Skydragon Centre
- TUG Meeting, Oct 27, 7:30 PM at Skydragon Centre
- City Rapid Transit Office LRT Update Meeting
- City Rapid Transit Community Update Meetings
- Meeting Archive...
- Introduction: A Vision for Transit
- News Release: A Vision for Transit in the 21st Century
- Presentation: A Vision for Transit in the 21st Century
- Survey: Share Your Vision for Transit
- Survey: View Results
- Vision Project Interim Report
- (Coming Soon)
- Transit Blueprint for Hamilton