Transit Blueprint for Hamilton
To break the vicious cycle of reduced funding and lost ridership, the HSR needs the commitment of all levels of government to a long-term growth strategy for public transit in this City.
By TUG, Last Updated Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Read the full report [PDF].
Hamilton's transit system moved 29,845,000 riders in 1984. If the City implements a proposed fare increase of even 5 cents this year, the resulting decrease of 184,000 additional rides will mean Hamilton's transit system has lost over 10 million annual rides in the span of two decades. Over the same period, Hamilton's population has increased by 22 per cent.
Hamilton's Official Plan sets a target of reaching 100 rides per capita. We have been moving farther and farther away from this goal. A fare increase this year will lower our ridership to almost 39 rides per capita.
Reduced funding from the federal, provincial and municipal governments, the rapid growth of transit-unfriendly development at the City's edges and the ensuing deterioration of the downtown core have driven this decline.
To break the vicious cycle, the HSR needs the commitment of all levels of government to a long-term growth strategy for public transit in this City.
Hamilton City Council must take the lead in order to leverage funding from senior levels of government. Policies should focus on increasing ridership per capita levels toward the goal of 100 trips/person/year laid out in Hamilton's Official Plan.
Recommendations for restoring an effective transit system to Hamilton include:
- Improving peak and off-peak period service;
- Keeping fares low through reductions, discounted passes, concession fares, and innovative fare media; and
- Planning for ridership growth by developing an HSR Ridership Growth Strategy, committing any gas tax transfers to public transit, and implementing policies that support and facilitate transit use.
- TUG Meeting, Nov. 17, 7:30 PM at Skydragon Centre
- TUG Meeting, Oct 27, 7:30 PM at Skydragon Centre
- City Rapid Transit Office LRT Update Meeting
- City Rapid Transit Community Update Meetings
- Meeting Archive...
- Introduction: A Vision for Transit
- News Release: A Vision for Transit in the 21st Century
- Presentation: A Vision for Transit in the 21st Century
- Survey: Share Your Vision for Transit
- Survey: View Results
- Vision Project Interim Report
- (Coming Soon)
- Transit Blueprint for Hamilton